Home

Tucson Rapid Transit #112

Tucson Rapid Transit #112

TUCSON, ARIZONA
41 passenger, 1947 Twin Coach, Model 41S, Serial 825


Bus #112 at Country Club and East Sixth Street about 1948.

In most cities, transit service reached a peak during World War II. However, in Tucson the peak did not occur until 1949 as returning servicemen who had been trained here decided to start a new life in Tucson. Consequently, Tucson Rapid Transit needed larger buses to handle the increased patronage. Fifteen “art-deco” design Twin Coaches (#101-115) were purchased in 1946, 47 and 48, and assigned to the busiest routes, University, South Sixth, East Sixth, Speedway, Campbell, Stone, and Oracle. By the mid-1950’s, as larger and newer General Motors Coaches were purchased, the Twins were often assigned to special student routes. In 1964, bus #112 was equipped with sliding sash windows and flashing warning lights to comply with a new requirement for vehicles transporting school students.

Alfred Coley with his motor home conversion in 1973.

In 1968, upon retirement by the transit company, #112 was purchased by Alfred and Genevieve Coley who converted the bus to a motor home. After Mr. Coley’s death in October 1986 it was acquired by Cameron and Joyce Johnston who installed a manual transmission. Within a few months, they traded it to Kevin Driscoll, who started remodeling, but was unable to continue. In 1995 he donated the bus to Old Pueblo Trolley for preservation and restoration.